In the rush to Christmas it can be easy to forget some of the basics to keep you and others healthy and safe over the festive period.
For those managing construction sites make sure they are safe and secure before you head away for the holidays.
Commercial construction sites are generally well protected, but it’s a good idea to do a final check before you head off. Residential settings are a bit different – the natural curiosity of kids’ means these sites can be a magnet for them and no-one wants to hear that a child or another person has been injured on their site because they failed to adequately secure it.
Things to consider when making sure your site is secured and the public are protected include:
- Is the work site fenced off from the public?
- Are the public protected from falling material?
- Is clear signage present to warn people of danger?
- Is the boundary secure?
- Have steps been taken to prevent any unauthorised access, e.g. are all ladders removed or their rungs boarded so they can’t be used?
- Are excavations and openings securely covered or fenced off?
- Is all plant immobilised to prevent unauthorised use?
- Are bricks and materials safely stacked?
- Are all flammable or dangerous substances locked away in secure storage places?
Let’s make sure we all get to enjoy the Christmas period!