Construction work involves high-risk activities. To work safely construction workers must be physically and mentally alert. On site, it’s up to you and your teams to manage fatigue.
What is fatigue?
Fatigue is more than tiredness. It is a state of physical and/or mental exhaustion which reduces a person’s ability to perform work safely and effectively. Fatigue can lead to errors and in turn an increase in workplace incidents and injuries. Construction work can be physically demanding which can increase fatigue.
So what causes fatigue? There are several factors, including:
- Lack of sleep
- Lack of exercise
- Eating and drinking the wrong stuff
- Work schedules
- The hot and cold
For more information see the toolbox talk and other links below.
Other fatigue material
- Fatigue in construction forum (7 videos)
- Fatigue in construction summary video
- Managing shift work to minimise workplace fatigue – A guide for small businesses
- Fatigue quick guide – including a checklist to identify the risks of fatigue